This information comes via Morcott’s Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinator.
Police advise those who have oil tanks to take one/some of these steps:
- Check the oil level on your tank on a regular basis.
- Fit an electronic oil gauge/tank alarm which will alert you if the oil level drops.
- Use fencing or shrubs to hide your tank from view.
- Fit a strong lock to the tank.
- If your tank is in an outbuilding keep the building locked.
- Install dusk to dawn security lighting.
- Turn off switches that control the supply of oil when not in use.
- Make a note of the registration number of suspicious vehicles especially tankers or large vehicles close to your property.
- Keep an eye on your neighbour’s tank as well.
- Join the Neighbourhood Watch scheme
Anyone with information about heating oil theft is asked to contact Leicestershire Police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.